Indiana is among the strictest states regarding DUI laws and penalties. Called “OWI” Operating a Motor Vehicle while Intoxicated (Code9-30-5), you could be charged if the following are discovered:
· Your blood alcohol concentration (BAC) is above .08% while you are operating a vehicle.
· You have Schedule I or Schedule II drugs in your blood while operating a vehicle.
· You are under 21, and your BAC is.02% or higher.
You also need to be aware that a law enforcement officer may arrest you and charge you with OWI if you fail any Field Sobriety Test that, in their judgment, establishes probable cause. Refusing a chemical sobriety test (breathalyzer, blood, or urine) automatically revokes your driver's license.
Trial Lawyer Matthew W. Chapel in Fort Wayne has the skills and knowledge to defend you against drunk driving charges in Indiana. If you are charged with a crime – or even if you think you might be charged – the attorney you choose can be your most crucial decision. Contact him today at (260) 387-6236 and ask for a FREE consultation about your next steps.
Indiana Drunk Driving (OWI) Penalties
Indiana law prescribes stiff penalties if you are convicted of OWI – drunk driving. You could face the following:
1. First Offense: Up to $5,000 in fines, up to one year in jail, and a license suspension of up to two years or30 days followed by 180 days probation. You may be allowed to drive to and from work.
2. Second Offense: Up to $10,000in fines, between five days to three years in jail, and a license suspension of between 180 days to two years.
3. Third Offense: Up to $10,000 in fines, between ten days to three years in jail, and a license suspension of between one to ten years.
Court costs and fees can raise the amount you owe considerably. After the third offense, you are considered to be a habitual substance offender and could face up to eight additional years in jail.
Aggressive Indiana OWI Defense Attorney
If you’re facing OWI charges in Indiana, you need an aggressive OWI defense attorney who will relentlessly defend your case. You need a bold trial lawyer who knows the law and how to attack the prosecution’s probable cause, evidence, and other claims. You could see your charges reduced or even thrown out with the right defense.
Trial Lawyer Matthew Chapel has completed the DWI Detection & Standardized Field Sobriety Testing Course conducted by the National College for DUI Defense and Anthony D. Palacios of Impaired Driving Specialists, LLC. This Continuing Legal Education course is identical to law enforcement officers' training for conducting Field Sobriety Tests. It is recognized by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration of the United States Department of Transportation.
Armed with this knowledge, Matt can refute or even discredit any field sobriety tests or other actions by law enforcement.
What Do I Do When Facing Drunk Driving Charges in Indiana?
There are actions you can take immediately if you are arrested for drunk driving OWI in Indiana:
1. Do not argue with or resist law enforcement officers. Comply with their requests.
2. Do not admit to any wrong doing or describe the events leading up to your arrest before you talk to an attorney.
3. Do not refuse a chemical sobriety test (breathalyzer, urine, or blood).
4. Call Criminal Defense Trial Lawyer Matt Chapel at (260) 387-6236 at your first opportunity.
5. You have ten days to schedule an administrative hearing to contest your suspended license. Matt can argue your defense and possibly get them back.
If you are charged with drunk driving –or even if you think you might be charged – the attorney you choose can be your most crucial decision. Contact Matt Chapel today at (260) 387-6236 and ask fora FREE consultation about your next steps.